Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Up close and personal

I find I'm more attracted to studio photography that involves movement and light and form (like photographs of dancers, etc.), but, as far as one's that get more personal, I found a couple that I like:

Like this portrait called "Tanja" by Jens Fehlisch. While the freckles are, perhaps, a little over-treated, the color temperature and lighting of the photograph is very appropriate to its tone. I like that the photographer filled up the entire frame with the subject and that neither the photographer nor the model have an issue with showing so much skin texture. Also, the sharp fall-off on the left side of the subject's face adds depth and mystery. The subject calmly, innocently, and openly confronts the camera with a bit of a "Mona Lisa" smile. If it weren't for the graphical elements and the pose, I'm not sure that I would like the lighting. On the forehead and the cheeks, it's a bit flat. The pose saves it by adding contour.

Unfortunately, this portrait by Ron Brewer can't be copied to the blog as per the assignment, but it's really a beautiful job of lighting. The strongest light is the rim light from the left, followed closely by a light above the head to the right. He was able to fill the shadows enough so that they are a soft gray (though I also suspect some retouching), which really compliments the woman "Zoe"'s femininity and expression of abandon.

No comments: