Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen, the great Tim Rice

Caption: Timothy Rice, a Photojournalism student at the University of Missouri-Columbia, poses for a portrait on September 22, 2009. Rice's exhuberant and eccentric personality is an extension of his approach to life. "I have a very active unfiltered persona and that is really me, but that's just me spreading some light heartedness. Why so serious? Its just life. Try to be happy. Try to ensure the happiness of others."

So here's my select for the classmate portrait assignment (anyone else upset with the way blogger interprets color profiles?). This project was very fun and extremely elucidating. I learned so much from doing this shoot and playing with the lighting. I'm fairly happy with the results, but now, looking back, I wish I had used a hair light. Ok, ready for the technical stuff?


I made the background light the strongest because I wanted a really intense pinkish red. I had originally planned to do an orange to red gradient, but I was difficult to implement. Honestly, I think that this was better considering his outfit (a Hello Kitty v-neck t-shirt, a black suit and a bow-tie) and personality. The light was a little more intense than I had hoped and it looks like it caused some over-saturation around his outline. I then made sure to have my key light the next brightest and the fill light the lowest wattage. All in all, I like it, but I wish I would have added a hair light.

No comments: