Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Copy testing

The point of copy testing is to render an existing photograph or document as close to how it looks, i.e. no glare, even lighting, sharp focus. So, you have the subject flat in the center and one soft box on either side. They have to be about an even distance from the subject and in line with it enough to not create a reflection of the light.

Copy test of Timothy Kha's "The Roomate"

It's looking a bit blue despite a profile conversion, but here's my "Stump the Chump" copy test. The point was to find a photo that had complicated artificial lighting. This one has at least two...there's one in the sink, which is a bit weird.

Copy test of Jodi Cobb's "Geishas"

The idea was to find a picture where the lighting compliments the emotions in the photo. This soft white light and all the light colors play up the peaceful and relaxed feeling of the image. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it emphasizes the nonsexual nature of the relationship within the subculture (something a perhaps warmer color would suggest).

Unfortunately, while I was adjusting it, the top right corner got some stickiness from the tape around the glass cover. I tried to remove it, but I couldn't get it all. Since it was my only copy, I had to shoot it with the stickiness. That's kind of problematic in a professional setting or if this was a historical document. I've definitely learned to be more careful with the subject.

No comments: